Sassafras is opening soon and we are hiring both full-time and part-time booksellers & baristas!
Our booksellers are often the first point of contact for customers and are expected to create a friendly, professional, and helpful environment. You should feel comfortable talking about and selling a range of books.
The main responsibilities are customer service, point-of-sale transactions, basic merchandising and inventory, maintaining the store environment, and participating in marketing and promotions.
Customer service includes greeting customers and giving expert advice based on a strong knowledge of store inventory and customer needs. A general awareness of the publishing industry will be useful as will a helpful attitude, research skills, and the perseverance to find a book even when the customer isn’t able to provide a lot of information.
Point-of-sale transactions include sales, customer returns/exchanges, taking special orders and gift-wrapping.
Basic merchandising and inventory includes receiving inventory, shelving, creating displays, organizing books and other merchandise, and yearly inventory.
Maintaining the store environment includes keeping the store clean, safe, and comfortable for customers and staff. Duties include vacuuming, cleaning bathroom facilities, trash, and recycling.
Participating in marketing and promotions includes contributions to the newsletter, writing reviews, and helping with upcoming events and promotions.
- Creative problem-solver and self-starter; able to work with minimal supervision after training; show initiative to do what needs to be done, to the best of your knowledge and ability, even without explicit instructions.
Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
Enthusiasm for keeping up with new titles.
Ability to bend, stoop, and lift boxes up to 40 pounds.
Some nights and weekends may be required.
- Will be cross-trained as a barista to fill in if necessary in the cafe.
Our cafe is a big part of Sassafras and we are looking for friendly, customer-oriented baristas. Previous experience a plus but not required.
The main responsibilities will be working in the cafe making/serving coffee & other drinks, greeting customers, and providing a warm and welcome experience for everyone who visits.
- Make and serve specialty coffee and tea beverages
- Speak and interact with both new and regular customers
- Maintain a clean and sanitized work station
- Follow health and safety guideline
- Adhere to recipes and presentations for food and beverage items
- Contribute to a positive team environment
- Greets all customers with fast, friendly, personalized service and develops a rapport with customers by learning their names, favorite drinks and food items
- Sells and serves baked goods and miscellaneous food items to customer
- Maintains efficient, friendly service.
- Restocks shelves when necessary.
- Routinely cleans the bar area, floor, windows and grinders, and takes out trash, etc. May also help keep the rest of the store tidy and clean including bathrooms, front of store, etc.
- Begins to educate themselves on the various types of coffee, tea products, blends and roasts. Proficiently prepares blended and cold drinks provided by the store.
- May work special events, as needed.
- May be used on the sales floor if the cafe is not busy.
If interested, please fill out this application & send to us. We will contact you if we want to schedule an appointment.